Monday, October 24, 2011

THE NEXT STEP FOR ME

I think that after creating my own blog I wanted to consider a next step.  What if I created a podcast of my blog?   I went to, “Beginner’s Guide to Podcast Creation”, by Kirk McElhearn.  According to McElhearn, there has been an increase in the proliferation of podcasts listeners.  There are a few steps that one must follow in order to have a successful podcast.  The initial first step is to have a plan.  It serves a purpose to have a script that is written out and practiced because you will minimize errors.  Second, using the correct microphone, which is called having the correct gear.(McElhearn)   An emphasis is made with regard to the quality of the sound.  It is important to make sure to filter out the surrounding sound when you record.  The next step is the software that you will use.  The most popular software program that is used for creating podcasts is called “Audacity”.  Audacity can record, edit, and post-process your audio, it’s multi-platform and it is free.(McElhearn)  When  you use Audacity you can reduce background  noise and static.  The final step would be to publish your podcast.  You need to assign a URL to your podcast so that other people can locate and download your podcast. 
I feel that NETS-T Standard No. 5 is met by producing  a podcast.  It is the natural step to take if you want to reach a larger audience who is interested in learning more with regard to technology in education. 
I also recommend looking at the website that looks at different big cats.  It is a very interesting site.  It gives you so much information about a variety of cats, from tigers, to leopards, to lions, and to lynx.  I definitely feel that as a speech pathologist I can interest the group of student s that I have to practice by inspiring them through an interest in this topic.  Children like to learn about animals.  They would like to know more about the different cats that exists.  By developing a lesson plan that incorporates this website’s information I can achieve so much.  I would captivate and hold my students attention.  I would  engage my students in such a way, that learning would be fun and informative.  NETS-T Standard No.1, where as a teacher I would facilitate and inspire student learning and creativity, is addressed with this website.

My resources are:
Retrieved on October 24, 2011

2 comments:

  1. Virginia: Your blog has inspired me to want to create a podcast as well. Sometimes it is difficult to get your tone across with just words. I can not tell you how many times I have been misunderstood when writing an email or text message, so I could imagine the same could be happening in my blogs or papers. Tone is something that you can control with your voice and a podcast is the perfect way to portray exactly what your saying to your viewers. As a future teacher this tool would be helpful to use in and out of the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Virginia,

    First, your overview of how to create a blog was well written, as well a supported by evidence. The way that you presented this blog reflects your preparedness for education. I also agree with Alana; creating a podcast seems interesting and could be a powerful tool to reach students. With the constantly growing field of technology, allowing students to engage in learning in a manner different than lecture seems useful. As an educator, you could teach a lesson via podcast, while providing classroom support to reinforce the themes of the lesson. This also supports NETS-S by having the students find and retrieve the data. What type of lesson do you think would be most appropriate for a podcast?

    ReplyDelete